We know this will come as a surprise to many of our readers. We want to make sure that we are clear on the reasons why we at GeriPal have agreed to be bought out by Pallimed:
- Pallimed and GeriPal will be better combined than separate. Think of this dream team lineup of bloggers, all on the court at the same time: Widera, Sinclair, Roseille, Smith, Covinsky.
- By being bought out, we can eliminate redundant posts. Remember when GeriPal and Pallimed both posted about the Temel Study in NEJM showing that palliative care improves quality of life and might prolong life? Awkward. We can eliminate this redundancy. You the readers win by not having to read two posts.
- The market is becoming increasingly competitive. With major new geriatrics and palliative care focused blogs appearing almost daily, it was becoming increasingly hard to compete for scarce readers.
- They offered us a lot of money. "As President of AAHPM, having access to the AAHPM member dues to leverage this purchase really allowed us to make this happen," said Pallimed editor and current AAHPM President Christian Sinclair.
- We've always wanted a green logo.
- Pallimed realized that they couldn't compete in the bigger markets, such as San Francisco. "It really hit home when the Royals lost to the Giants in the World Series," said Sinclair. "We weren't going to make it as a small market franchise. We needed to acquire GeriPal to be be able to compete".
We know that there will likely be some changes in store for GeriPal. We fully expect that some of our contributors will be let go to produce a more efficient blog.
In case we are fired in this consolidation, we want to take this time to thank our readers for their loyalty over the years.
It's been a great run.